Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Papers: One last Gigg?

Ryan Giggs has stunned Manchester United by hinting he could retire at the end of the season. The veteran winger’s current deal expires in May and he is yet to be offered a new deal to stay at Old Trafford. Giggs’ experience has been vital for the Red Devils but the Welsh ace, 35, said: “I will keep playing as long as I enjoy it, I am fit and the manager wants me. If one of those three things stops, I will consider retiring. It could be at the end of this season. Or it could be the next one. I am at the end of my contract in May, so we will see. At the minute, there hasn’t been any contact with United. I am as fit as I have ever been. The only difference is recovering from games. Two days after a game, I am still tired. Before, I could play Saturday-Wednesday, Saturday-Wednesday no problem. Today, I would be a lot less efficient at doing things. Nowadays, I only play once a week, it’s very good that way."
Steve Brenner, The Sun

Meanwhile, following yesterday's exclusive that Carlos Tevez is happy to sign a permanent deal at United, The Sun today backtrack and claim that the Argentine striker could be tempted by a permanent move to Real Madrid. The Daily Mail even suggests that cash-rich Manchester City could swoop for a high-profile transfer coup.

The Mail also pick up on Sir Alex Ferguson's comments on the title race in issue 199 of Inside United. On Liverpool, the Boss says: "There's no doubt in the second half of the season they will get nervous. They are going into the unknown and, at this stage, if you make mistakes you get punished."

Ahead of United's Champions League clash with Internazionale next month, Jose Mourinho is set to attend this weekend's clash between the Reds and his former club Chelsea, according to The Sun.

Round up by Steve Bartram

No comments:

Post a Comment