Chris Eagles has admitted that he would welcome the opportunity to rejoin Manchester United in the future.

The 23-year-old left Old Trafford over the summer after growing disillusioned at a lack of first-team football with the reigning Premier League champions.

He took a step down to join Championship side Burnley, but has displayed his class with a number of impressive showings for Owen Coyle's men.

Eagles has not given up hope, though, of one day gracing the Theatre of Dreams once more, and is aware that Sir Alex Ferguson remains a staunch admirer of his considerable talent.

"I'm not going to hold a grudge because I thank him (Ferguson) for everything he's done. He's got me to where I am today and I have learned so much from him," Eagles said in the Daily Star Sunday.

"You have got to have a basic talent but he adds to it. He didn't want me to go. It was sort of on my own back and he fully understood.